Forums

General Discussion

If this is your first visit, you will need to register before you can post. (All members of the forum must adhere to the Code of Conduct, as outlined in the Terms and Conditions)

Moderators: Da Boss

2119 Posts in 314 Topics by 275 members

Topic: Destiny Quest Legion of Shadow YouTube series

Page: 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7 , 8 , 9 , 10
  • Re: Destiny Quest Legion of Shadow YouTube series

At 17.08 you add brawn to first strike. You only use the damage you roll, you don't add brawn to damage dice (only when you roll for a "damage score")

Thanks for that clarification. I wasn't sure which way to go on that. It makes sense. We'll play it that way from now on. Thank you again.
    We're filming tomorrow's episode tonight. I should have it edited and uploaded again tomorrow night around 9PM ET.

Keep up the good work!

Yep - it can be confusing but the rule is that you never add your Brawn or Magic score to a dice roll unless you are rolling for 'damage score' (keyword being 'score'). The text will always make this clear.

For example, 'Cleave' states that you roll one damage 'die' (not score) and apply the result as health damage to all enemies, ignoring armour. So you wouldn't add anything to this as it is 'damage dice', not a 'damage score'. The text for the ability also states that you use this instead of rolling for a damage score.

'Deep Wound' however, allows you to roll one extra die for damage score, so in this instance you would roll two dice and add your Brawn as you are still rolling for damage 'score'. However, if you had both 'Cleave' and 'Deep Wound', you can't use them together because 'Cleave' replaces your roll for damage score whereas 'Deep Wound' adds to your damage score roll. (i.e. you wouldn't be able to combine the two to do 2 damage dice to each enemy.)

Lots of finicky rules to remember like that!

Okay, awesome. Thank you very much for that clarification. That will help going forward.
    Hopefully with this pre-combat and ongoing damage we'll be able to take down most of the rest of Act 2 in good shape. We'll see though.

To add to what Alziel wrote, you couldn't do Cleave and Deep Wound together because they're both Combat abilities, and you can only use one of those per round (same with Speed abilities). So, if you win a round and are about to roll a damage score, you can't use Deep Wound to roll two dice to add to your Brawn/Magic, and in the same round, use Piercing to have you damage score ignore your opponent's armour. Pick one, and save the other for another round you win.

Modifiers are different, you can use as many of them as you want, at any time they apply. So if you had Dominate, which turns one of the dice you roll for damage to a 6, you could use it with First Strike or Cleave, to change the damage die you rolled to a 6. Or you win a round, roll a low number for damage score, then use Dominate to change that to a 6. And hey, in the same round (heck, even the same instant), you can use a modifier ability like Heal, to heal yourself. In fact, Heal's the rare ability that can be used multiple times per combat, if you have multiple items with Heal. Got three different items with Heal plus one with Dominate? Change any die you rolled for damage to 6, and heal yourself for 12 Health as well

Got it. I appreciate all the help.

Now for the bad news - we started filming this week's episode and we had a file error half way through and the file wouldn't save. So we have to re-shoot it all over again tomorrow night. UGHHH!!! So this week's episode might not get uploaded tomorrow night and instead might go up Friday night. It depends on how fast I can edit. Also our goal is to keep the episodes under 40 minutes each week. We might not be able to get a full quest completed each week but we'll try to keep the action going from week to week. I think the hour+ long session episodes seem to scare viewers away with their length.

Currently Online: There is nobody online.

Welcome to our latest member: Seabreeze

Copyright © 2010 Michael Ward | Terms and Conditions | Acknowledgments | site built by nomad