Forums

General Discussion

If this is your first visit, you will need to register before you can post. (All members of the forum must adhere to the Code of Conduct, as outlined in the Terms and Conditions)

Moderators: Da Boss

2121 Posts in 314 Topics by 275 members

Topic: Differences between ebook and print version of Legion of Shadows and suggestions for an improved ebook

Page: 1
  • Differences between ebook and print version of Legion of Shadows and suggestions for an improved ebook

Hi. I finally sat down to actually play Legion of Shadows, with my brother. I got the ebook version and we ordered the physical book from the library, for my brother. We haven't even finished our first quest, and have already noticed a few differences between the two versions. First of all, in the ebook (at least, the version on Google Play), there is an error in the combat explanation. In round two, point 1, it says “Sir Hugo and the Serpent […]”. However, in the ebook, there is an image of a die, with a five on it, in between the words “Hugo” and “and”. This isn't a huge deal and doesn't affect the game, but something I thought I should point out. Now, for some actual errors. In the prologue, you acquire “the apprentice”, which should give +1 brawn and +1 magic, according to the item guide, on the website. The physical book has this correct, but the ebook only gives +1 brawn. The next difference, that I found was in the prices for the shops in Tithebury Cross. The physical book has the items at the apothecary cost 5 crowns, and the items at the clothier and tinkerer cost 12. In the ebook, they cost 10 and 20 crowns, respectively. Which price is correct? I’m assuming the lower prices are more accurate. Also, while skimming through the book, I happened to find another mistake. In section 861, you fight a Styraxian steed, with the special ability Blindside. In the table, it has an armour value of 16/6. In the physical book Blindside says “[…] must strike against an armour of 16”. However, in the ebook, it says “[…] must strike against an armour of 18”. I'm assuming this is inaccurate because it doesn't even line up with what's shown in the table, nor the physical book. These are the only ones I have found so far, but I’m sure there are many more errors present in the ebook.

I would also like to make a suggestion for how to display the enemy stat tables, in the ebook. Currently, they are displayed as images, within the book, rather than being actual tables. I, like many others, read with dark mode turned on, to reduce strain on my eyes. However, when an enemy encounter shows up, I get hit with a massive block of bright white light, because of the white background of the image. This can definitely be a problem. I know that the ebook can properly display tables, because the items appear to be displayed in tables, when you are picking them. Changing the stat table images into actual tables will also prevent them from becoming pixelated and difficult to read, when zoomed in. This also will allow people to change the font, to something more readable, if they so choose. I could be wrong on this next point, but turning the stat table images into actual images, will probably make it easier for screen reading software, to read out the table, assuming that the images don't already have audio descriptions. I understand that none of these suggestions fall under your jurisdiction and are up to the publisher, but I would just like to share my thoughts on the matter. Thank you for your time.

• Re: Differences between ebook and print version of Legion of Shadows and suggestions for an improved ebook

Hi Saif1117

I can explain the discrepancies and unfortunately, this is largely due to my publisher (Gollancz) being unwilling to update my first three books.

So, the eBook version is 'old' and probably represents the 'hardcore' version of the book as it was first released. It also probably has a couple of the errors still in it.

When Legion of Shadow was reprinted as a mass market paperback, I was able to make some changes. So, that is why there are discrepancies between the eBook and the paperback.

The paperback is the version that is correct.

However, to add further confusion to your adventure, I made a ton of balance changes for the Italian edition. I wanted to add these into the English version, but my publisher won't do it. So, if you wish to - those balance changes are here:

http://www.destiny-quest.com/forums/general-discussion/show/3836#post3836
    http://www.destiny-quest.com/forums/general-discussion/show/3837#post3837

Thankfully, these balance issues do not affect any of the other books.

My publisher won't make any changes to the eBook (I have asked on many occasions!). The eBook for Raiders of Dune Sea I had done myself (as I now self-publish the series) and I don't think it has the issues you were describing with the combat boxes/text.

• Re: Differences between ebook and print version of Legion of Shadows and suggestions for an improved ebook

Thank you for your response. It is very disappointing to see that the ebook is inaccurate. I understand, not including the Italian balance changes, but not updating the ebook, to match the physical book, is absurd. I saw the change log on the player's guide and made notes about all the changes there. This did not include the price changes, in the physical book, as far as I’m aware. I will also look through the two forum posts you made, for the Italian edition. Are there any other changes, between the initial hard cover printing, that are not listed on the player's guide change log, that you are aware of? I would like to make note of these, so I don't have to try and compare to the physical book, as that will be very difficult to do.

I very much appreciate the fact that you are self publishing your later ebooks. I look forward to a, hopefully, better reading experience, once I finish this book. I may even skip straight to Raiders of the Dune Sea. Out of the three gamebook series I have tried, (Fabled Lands, Lone Wolf, and DestinyQuest), this has been my favorite, and the only one to actually offer all the books in ebook format (except book 5, but I’m sure you are working on that).

Hi Saif117

Yes, I do appreciate it is frustrating - and honestly it drives me nuts too! That is why I often tell people to start with Heart of Fire (which both eBook and paperback should be the same!) or to skip to my own books (Raiders of Dune Sea and then Wrath of Ragnarok).

I also have DestinyQuest Raiders coming out in the Summer - primarily as a paperback but probably as eBook too by the end of the year:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1122204373/destinyquest-raiders-tides-of-terror

You might want to check out this player guide to Legion of Shadow, which is super comprehensive and includes most of the changes:

http://www.destiny-quest.com/assets/Downloads/Files/The-Legion-of-Shadow-Player-Guide.pdf

Small update. I've actually emailed my publisher (Gollancz) again about these issues so I will let you know their response. I mean, really, there is no excuse for not just spending an hour to update the paperback (for its next reprint) and bring the ebook back in line with the modern changes... but hey, big publisher doesn't usually have time for small fry like me, ha ha. So, we will see.

Currently Online: There is nobody online.

Welcome to our latest member: Bob88753

Copyright © 2010 Michael Ward | Terms and Conditions | Acknowledgments | site built by nomad