Forums

General Discussion

If this is your first visit, you will need to register before you can post. (All members of the forum must adhere to the Code of Conduct, as outlined in the Terms and Conditions)

Moderators: Da Boss

2119 Posts in 314 Topics by 275 members

Topic: 'Murica

Page: 1
  • 'Murica

I am an American Destiny Quester and incidentally am a student of language (I translate Korean by profession, but the interesting thing about language is that studying another language causes you to think more critically about your own). I have noticed in passage 864 and, I think, somewhere in the previous orange quest from act 3 of the first book, the phrase "blows out his cheeks." This is interesting to me because I assume it's a gesture that wouldn't but unfamiliar to me--but this description leaves me at a loss. I assume it's a phrase that is common in British English, but, y'know, we are two nations divided by a common language. What the hell is blowing out your cheeks?

• Re: 'Murica

Not sure of the origin of the saying - but this link might help with its description:

http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=538211

Usually an exaggerated sigh - expelling air from lungs in exasperation etc.

• Re: 'Murica

I have another question: in passage 39 in The Heart of Fire, there is the sentence, "That is one rumour I have now put paid to." What does "put paid to" mean?

EDIT: Well, on second thought, I figured I could just ask Google. I found an answer easily enough. I dunno, I guess I just posted here first because I am impressed that the author of these books that I am enjoying so much still finds the time to talk directly, through these forums, to his fans. I have nothing but respect for you, Mr. Ward.

Currently Online: There is nobody online.

Welcome to our latest member: Bob88753

Copyright © 2010 Michael Ward | Terms and Conditions | Acknowledgments | site built by nomad