Forums

General Discussion

If this is your first visit, you will need to register before you can post. (All members of the forum must adhere to the Code of Conduct, as outlined in the Terms and Conditions)

Moderators: Da Boss

2101 Posts in 313 Topics by 274 members

Topic: Android / iPhone App?

Page: 1 , 2 , 3 , 4
  • Re: Android / iPhone App?

Thanks for the link.

I wonder at what point Destiny Quest ceases to be a gamebook, and becomes a game?

Very cool in any case.

I like the idea of the 'combat tracker' app, but I'm guessing that it will infringe copyright-wise with what is being produced for the Legion of Shadow app. I'd need to check on that.

I don't have any plans at the present time to produce a 'developer kit', although I see the potential and it does put me in mind of something that I'd like to create further down the line, should the books become successful. We'll have to wait and see! Fingers crossed!

I did D&D through RPGA for years. -Even published a few adventures through RPGA (published with a little p).

We had templates that helped with format and structure. We even had some basic patterns for encounters. A lot can be systematized, leaving a framework for creative writing. We also had great editors. The combination allowed us to produce high-quality (high-consistency) D&D adventures with semi-pro writers.

I'm pretty sure Da Boss said that Adventure Cow is developing the iPhone/Android app for DQ.

I started working on a character tracker and combat manager for Android (for my own use at least), but I don't want to re-invent the wheel if an app is releasing in a few months.

I have some questions...

1. The app developer is Adventure Cow (http://adventurecow.com), correct? They seem to emphasize interactive fiction, not app development. Why choose them as the developers instead of a company known for phone app development? The answer may be obvious, but I want to know if there is more to it than the interactive fiction connection.

2. What is the extent of the app? Is it a 'helper' app with character management and combat tracking, or does it have all the book text included? That said, is the app specific to the new book, or is it generic-enough to to be used for all DQ books?

3. This one is somewhat technical, but while I'm asking... Will the special abilities data be stored in an accessible format (like XML) so that new or custom abilities can be added?

4. When can we expect the app to release, and how much will it cost?

5. Are there any opportunities for a qualified individual to be a play-tester or contributor? Follow-up: Is there a way to speak to the Adventure Cow development team (like through a message board like this one)?

Da Boss: "I don't have any plans at the present time to produce a 'developer kit', although I see the potential and it does put me in mind of something that I'd like to create further down the line, should the books become successful. We'll have to wait and see! Fingers crossed!"

This is the approach I have taken in case any other developers on the forum would like to weigh in with affirmation or advice.

I've started codifying the special abilities. I'm building a rules engine around all the ways special abilities interact with the core game system. Once the boundaries and interactions of special abilities determined, that whole 'engine' can be put into an API.

Now for humans: You can build web-app/phone app, or whatever (interface). In combat, just refer back to the special abilities engine. The engine will reference your abilities, and tell you what options you have at each stage of combat, and what happens.

You can even reference a database of opponents, so the engine can tell you what happens to your hero based on the opponent you are fighting (like how much health you lose minus any resistance). The web/phone app calling the engine can update your character sheet, if that's what it's designed to do.

Of course you can layer interactive storytelling on top of that system as well.

I've started an online character sheet, but I wasn't planning on putting any dice rolling features. I haven't worked on it for a while. I've been stuck on real work, writing, and how to do the database. But, I want to get back to it soon. The thread for that should be on the second page (if not the first).

Currently Online: There is nobody online.

Welcome to our latest member: CrazedOldMan

Copyright © 2010 Michael Ward | Terms and Conditions | Acknowledgments | site built by nomad