Forums

General Discussion

If this is your first visit, you will need to register before you can post. (All members of the forum must adhere to the Code of Conduct, as outlined in the Terms and Conditions)

Moderators: Da Boss

2119 Posts in 314 Topics by 275 members

Topic: Death is not the end...?

Page: 1 , 2
  • Re: Death is not the end...?

Hi there,

I'm the guy behind this blog entry.

Funny, to see it in this forum!

Don't forget - it's just my personal opinion, and nothing to be upset about.

It's still a well written book.

Another penalty I am thinking of having is maybe a limit to how many times you can attempt a quest? How about 3 times? That way, if you die the first time, then you can search around for better equipment to do it again but eventually, if you can't do it the third, then you give up on that one.

Except that death not effecting your character is part of the plot... Although, I do see it from the quest side of things. It would make some sense that you couldn't finish a quest after a few times. How many times will the Big Bad Wolf appear, and still be healthy. Or will things really remain the same?

Of course, this is written as an MMO in book form, so it does make some sense in that aspect.

I also have to say that i was shocked about the no death system first. I played nearly all FF, and some other series. I thought that this system was only made to ensure that the dumb average person can win the game and the books sales are higher - like may great strategic or rpg titles have become worser and worser in order to make them playeble for the most stupid people.

After i played the whole book, i agree, that this system is really great. Especially because there is at least one hard enemy for every character setup.
    Further more the book is several times longer than any other gamebook. Someone who dies for example in the mid of act 3 will most likely "cheat" if theres a "NO DEATH" system.

For me it all comes down to what is fun for you? I'm perfectly fine with the author's intentions and game design. However, for me personally, being able to go right back to where you left off removes all of the tension in the battles.

Again, this is not to say any particular method is right or wrong. I mean, how you play does not affect anyone else or their enjoyment of the book in any way.

I just recently started playing/reading this great book and have died several times in what some of you here describe as "hardcore" mode. I might have to do as some others have done and chronicle this in the spoiler section. Could be fun to keep track of all the deaths.

Bottom line - great book. Have fun.

i must admit
    i dont see it as dyeing
    just losing a fight
    so you can go staight back in to it
    and try it a different way

Currently Online: There is nobody online.

Welcome to our latest member: Seabreeze

Copyright © 2010 Michael Ward | Terms and Conditions | Acknowledgments | site built by nomad