Forums

Rules Q&A

If this is your first visit, you will need to register before you can post. (All members of the forum must adhere to the Code of Conduct, as outlined in the Terms and Conditions)

Moderators: Da Boss

733 Posts in 207 Topics by 139 members

Topic: Using brawn and/or magic to calculate damage score

Page: 1
  • Using brawn and/or magic to calculate damage score

Hello to the community,

I apologise if this question has been asked before: when calculating the damage score in combat, point 4 on page 8 says to roll a die and add one's brawn or magic score to the result, whichever is highest. This sounds non-optional.
    Then later, in round 2 of the combat example, point 2 on page 10, it says Sir Hugo chooses to add his brawn score (which is indeed higher than his magic score). This definitely sounds like he has a choice.

So, is it mandatory to apply the highest score or can you choose? I haven't started the adventure yet, but I was just thinking there could be encounters that perhaps apply some sort of detrimental effect to the hero depending on which stat he uses.
    I just wanted to make sure beforehand.

Thanks!

• Re: Using brawn and/or magic to calculate damage score

Hi Northern Star

Welcome to the forums.

You have a choice whether to choose brawn or magic, but you will inevitably always want to choose your highest in combat to do the most amount of damage. There are no instances in the first three books where it would be detrimental to you to use one over the other (as hybrid characters were just too difficult to implement. That is not to say, they won't be making an appearance in future).

Hope that helps, and enjoy the book/s. Let us know how you get on!

• Re: Using brawn and/or magic to calculate damage score

Thank you so much for taking the time to clarify this!

Currently Online: There is nobody online.

Welcome to our latest member: Seabreeze

Copyright © 2010 Michael Ward | Terms and Conditions | Acknowledgments | site built by nomad