Forums

Rules Q&A

If this is your first visit, you will need to register before you can post. (All members of the forum must adhere to the Code of Conduct, as outlined in the Terms and Conditions)

Moderators: Da Boss

733 Posts in 207 Topics by 139 members

Topic: A Few Questions Re: Eye of Winter's Fury

Page: 1 , 2
  • A Few Questions Re: Eye of Winter's Fury

Hi there!

I have a few questions regarding Book 3 and am looking for clarification.

1) The abilities 'Spirit Call' and 'Frost Hound'... can you choose a different opponent to take the passive damage each round with these or does it have to be the same enemy throughout the combat? If it's the latter, can you place the passive damage on another enemy if the one who is afflicted dies?

2) Regarding 'Spirit Call' again...there are combats where I fight with or against Nanuk - it doesn't seem logical that I would be able to use 'Spirit Call' in these combats (logic would also dictate that the ability is lost after the first combat in Act 2's Red Quest..)..but the text doesn't state that it cannot be used. I assume therefore that I can use it regardless of these observations?

3) How would an ability like 'Critical Hit' work with an ability like 'Blizzard' (where you roll separate damage for each opponent). Would 'Critical Hit' apply to the damage dice for each enemy?

4) Not really a question but more of an observation - there is nothing in the text that states that you cannot return to Bitter Keep after the Orange Quest in Act 1. It seems logical that you cannot but if somebody forgot to turn in a quest there (for example) they shouldn't be allowed to do so later, right?

5) In the fight with the Sentinel, if you need to take the deadly ascent again, for each challenge would you still count passives that you have inflicted already in combat? Or would these 'pause' until combat resumes?

6) Where are the two flawless emeralds??? Just kidding...I'll keep looking! :-D

Thanks!

• Re: A Few Questions Re: Eye of Winter's Fury

Hey Alziel

Great to see that you are back, and are enjoying Book Three. Sorry that I didn't spot your uploaded heroes.

I'm in a rush this morning, but will answer your queries a bit later on today.

Happy gaming!

M

1 . They only attack one nominated opponent per combat.

2. Yes, it can still be used. Spirit call is given to you by the bear tribe as a reward and therefore the bear spirit is yours to command. Without going into spoilers, after the Red Quest, abilities that are related to Nanuk can still be used (such as the Were’s shape change ability) as it is assumed you have absorbed these powers into yourself.

3. This question came up in relation to hurricane rush also. When using critical strike, you can only change the results of any die or dice you have just rolled. So, if rolling separately for different opponents, each of the rolls would be regarded as a separate ‘roll’ so critical strike would only apply to that ‘roll’.

4. That’s correct and possibly an oversight. Bitter Keep is no longer available. I would think it unlikely there would be quests or loose ends to turn in there once you had done the orange quest.

5. A good question – while the ascent takes place, this is ‘out of combat’ so any passives already inflicted would ‘pause’. Then, when combat resumes again, you can assume those passives are already in play.

6. One has been overlooked by some scavengers and the other can be found in an animal’s den ;)

Hope that helps!

Thanks Boss!

So..

1) That's a shame. I'd been playing those abilities by switching my enemy when it suited. Now I feel as if I've cheated!

2) Yay! Makes sense.

3) Thanks - so this means that 'Furious Sweep' is more powerful when combined with 'Critical Strike' than any other AoE ability - particularly if combo'd with another damage enhancing Modifier like 'Blood Oath' (is that even possible?) I'll have to remember that!

4) There are some early keywords that spring to mind...some people might forget to trigger these at Bitter Keep until it's too late, which is why I asked. But sane folks should see the logic of not being able to go back there after 'The Bitter End' is finished.

5) I played that correctly then. Phew! Another question related to this though (and a couple of other fights with similar rules); you cannot attack one enemy in this fight until all others are defeated. The text makes it fairly clear that this does not include passives such as 'Decay' and 'Barbs'...and logic follows that 'Bleed' and 'Disease' can't be used either. However, what about things like 'Spirit Call' and 'Frost Hound'? I guess these can't be used either because they summon spirits to attack for you? Also, would something with an AoE attack like 'Cleave', 'Hurricane Rush' or 'Shock Wave' still apply to the 'invulnerable' enemy?

6) I found one! I just need to locate the other. Thanks for the clues!

Thanks again - I'm right back in the 'DQ addiction' zone. I really hope you're able to get the fourth book out somehow.

3. Hmm, yes you can, which makes furious sweep quite powerful I agree. Perhaps in future books (if they happen) I might readdress the power of critical strike and make it only applicable to only rolls for a damage score. But I guess finding the powerful combos is part of the fun!

5. None of those passives or abilities would damage the special target until you have met the criteria for doing so. Imagine a shield around them that stops all attacks/damage.

Pleased to hear it – and welcome back! Yeah, I’m praying for a Book Four also ;)

The Shaman special ability Totem Blast in section 686 (it isn't listed in the abilities glossary in either book or download) does two dice damage to all opponents. It doesn't specifically say to roll separately for each opponent, so I've been treating it as the mage's Furious Sweep. I usually combine Critical Strike/Gut Ripper with Deep Wound/Overload for damage scores anyway, because rolling 6's for your damage score leads to some interesting combos. I may post some heroes eventually to show you what I do.

Boss, thank you for continuing to answer us on these boards. And just so you know, last year I pledged $55 on Kickstarter to get an autographed Book 7 of the Fabled Lands series. I'll do the same for Books 8-12 when they're ready to make them. I promise you the same support, and the autographs are optional. Whether you use Kickstarter or find some other way, I'd love to see more books. You said the Destiny Quest series could go to 7, right?

Currently Online: There is nobody online.

Welcome to our latest member: CrazedOldMan

Copyright © 2010 Michael Ward | Terms and Conditions | Acknowledgments | site built by nomad