Forums

Here be spoilers!

If this is your first visit, you will need to register before you can post. (All members of the forum must adhere to the Code of Conduct, as outlined in the Terms and Conditions)

Moderators: Da Boss

497 Posts in 101 Topics by 104 members

Topic: Stuck on Winter's Hill

Page: 1 , 2 , 3
  • Re: Stuck on Winter's Hill

Cos your speed is too low. Lose crown of command and get something better. It has no speed.

Well - I finally finished Winter's Hill - but I did it by cheating, so it feels hollow.

I had almost achieved a genuine victory as the Skeletons had 2 Health remaining and I had 17 remaining but they got in two successful and heavy blows which would have killed me. I had no potions left, no abilities and only 7GC - so I decided to re-use 'Command' figuring that the battle had been dragging on long enough for the ability to recharge. Well - that's my justification.

Anyway, the next two battles were fairly straightforward and I won both legitimately although it came very close with Rottaghast. Again - the Necro/Skeleton fight seemed to stick out like a sore thumb in terms of difficulty.

I acknowledge that I could do with more Speed and I now do intend to change my headgear as soon as I get a chance - I had held on to it because the 'Command' ability had proved so useful and the extra Magic was nice.

It does seem a bit of a shame that I came undone towards the end of the game because my Speed was a point or so too low - the importance of that one stat seems to limit customization more than I would like.

Having said all this, I think the game is excellent and I'm having great fun with it. I just wish I could have progressed to the end without resorting to a cheat. I'll place a much higher priority on 'Speed' items in my next run through I suppose. I do hope 'Heart of Fire' is a little more balanced in this respect.

Hi Alziel - welcome to the forums and thanks for sharing your experiences. Yes, Legion is pitched on the challenging side. I did want to tweak a few things in Act 3 for the latest edition but my publisher wouldn't let me sadly! Ran out of time.

Vood is correct that you don't have to complete Winter's Hill to progress (or indeed, Against all odds and Battle of the Bone Fields) - although, obviously you want to progress as far as you can through them.

As an alchemist you are at a disadvantage because you are losing two offensive abilities. The bonus for alchemists is that they can have a speed talisman (whereas the other mage careers don't). Therefore, technically you can have much higher speed. A speed of 13 or 14, as Vood states, is where you want to be aiming for in those early quests.

Itemisation is much improved (in my opinion!) in HoF and EoWF. Legion was very much a learning curve!

Hope your mage goes on to triumph. Sounds like you are back in the fight!

Thanks for the response Mike! It's always great to hear from the author themselves so it's very much appreciated.

I did really want to play a Necromancer (and my choices throughout the game had foreshadowed this - I'd played as quite a mercenary character). However, when I had the option and realized that I needed to give up my Tiger's Heart talisman I realized that I couldn't afford the drop in Speed and the loss of a Speed ability ('Cat's Speed'), so I decided against it.

My build had seemed to work fine up until I hit the Necro/Skeleton encounter so I was really given a shock when I tackled that battle. Things have been a little easier since as well and I now have a Speed of 13 - but my Magic has taken a drop to 19. What I really want to do is lose my 4 Brawn points as they seem a bit wasted - so I'm on the lookout for new headgear and a new ring.

Anyway, I would like to reiterate that this is proving to be an excellent game with a great story. As I draw closer to the endgame I am feeling torn between starting LoS again with a new character or having a go at HoS.

Outside of the legendary monsters, the best mage headgear is/was found in Waking the dead, sadly. There are a couple of good rings in Battle of the Bone Fields that might help you though.

You may consider it cheating, but the hero builder can be useful in helping you to find items to boost your hero. Perhaps something to keep in mind for a second playthrough? (I recommend rogue if you want an easier ride!)

Hero builder:
    http://www.destiny-quest.com/assets/Downloads/Files/The-Legion-of-Shadow-item-sheet.pdf

Thanks again Mike.

I have just taken on 'Battle of the Bone Fields' and was killed by Baruk (sp?), so I never did find any good rings. I just tried tackling a couple of legendary monsters again and failed horribly both times.

With no other options available and no ability to buy any more gear or equipment, along with the hollow feeling I have of having cheated in the Necro/Skeleton fight, I've decided to throw away this character and consider my first play through to be a loss. I'm going to start from scratch and have another go at LoS; I'd like to complete it without cheating before I move on to HoS.

I did have a quick look at the Hero Builder (nice resource!) but I think I'll do my next run through without using it. I would like to play as a Mage again, but maybe I will plump for the Rogue as you suggest, just so that I can get to the end of the story! Then I can experiment more on future attempts and play with different Mage and even Warrior builds.

Well - I have a fresh, blank Hero Sheet in front of me and I'm ready to turn to the Tithebury map all over again. Wish me luck!

Edit: Well - finally beat LoS using a Rogue (Shadowstalker build - posted in the 'Post your Hero' section). Much easier this time around - breezed through every fight (including the Necro/Skeleton one) until I reached the final enemy. Wow - Lorcan was tough to beat! I had no healing potions or abilities at all and it took me seven attempts (and some lucky dice rolls!) to prevail in the end. Next time I play I will be sure to have my backpack fully stocked with Potions of Healing when I reach him; he was the only encounter that I didn't manage to win on the first attempt!

Again, I'd just like to say how excellent I think this book was. I'm half tempted to go back and try a Warrior or Mage build but I think I'll crack on with HoF first. If that one is anywhere near as good as LoS then I'm in for a treat! Thanks for giving us DestinyQuest, Mike!

Currently Online: There is nobody online.

Welcome to our latest member: Bob88753

Copyright © 2010 Michael Ward | Terms and Conditions | Acknowledgments | site built by nomad