Forums

General Discussion

If this is your first visit, you will need to register before you can post. (All members of the forum must adhere to the Code of Conduct, as outlined in the Terms and Conditions)

Moderators: Da Boss

2118 Posts in 314 Topics by 275 members

Topic: DQ 2

Page: 1 , 2 , 3
  • DQ 2

I see this book is now in the formative stages.

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions or ideas they would like to see in that book?

I'm very curious as to whether Michael will allow characters to transfer across or require the to start afresh in bk2. I'd be tempted to do a half-way system and possibly have some kind of "heirloom" item option, with a few select items from your previous character donated to your new character in book 2.

I'd also really like to see some way to increase bag space, possibly with a way to carry 1 or 2 spare items.

Other things that could be interesting would be some kind of co-op system and a new class (perhaps a priest, druid or shaman type character).

Any thoughts?

• Re: DQ 2

In DQ1 you'll have a very tough time if you do the quests in an order Michael didn't anticipate. In that case you will not have certain items when they are needed, and you will have them (taking up valuable backpack space) when you don't need them anymore.

In DQ2 it would be nice if doing the quests from easy to hard would also mean that you at least have the chance of collecting the right stuff.

One of the things that would be nice is owning a storage space somewhere. In Fabled Lands you can own a house and store items there. Note that this is not a 100% safe place: dice will determine at every visit if your stuff has been stolen.

I think I'd vote for fresh characters, and have different classes and careers. Or as LoneWolf said at least have a few new ones.

I don't want to go into too many details re: DQ2 this far ahead of its publication (but I'm obviously open to suggestions and speculation!).

I can, however, confirm that there will be 15 careers (5 rogue, 5 mage and 5 warrior). There may even be a 6th career choice for mages, but that is still being worked on.

As for your ideas... the simple answer is 'yes' to all of them, to some degree. You will have a fresh hero in DQ2. But... <snip> ah sorry, that information is classified for now ;)

Hello everybody,

I'm new to the forums, and have just ordered the book via Amazon. Would have got the Special Edition, but no shipping to the US.

As per the topic, I'm a big fan of the Lonewolf Books, mainly because of persistent character throughout the series. I love how the story just continues to evolve into an epic.

Now as I just ordered DQ, I haven't read/played through, so don't know how this would work in anyway, just stating my opinion.

With the Fighting Fantasy series, because they are one-off stories, I'm less inclined to buy ALL of them, and just cherry pick.

I'm a big fan of this genre and will support Mike in his endeavors to publish more books, persistent character/story or not.

Welcome to the forum!

Yes, each DQ book is a one off story, but they do build on each other to some extent, with characters re-appearing and plot threads carrying over to future books. You would benefit from reading them in order rather than cherry-picking. (Although, I doubt I could ever produce enough books to cherry pick from anyway!)

There are obvious problems with a persistent hero. At the end of Legion of Shadow, your hero is quite powerful. To have carried them over into a whole new book would mean that, from the start, you would have foes that have 100+ health at least - and by the end of the book, to allow for progression, you would be facing opponents with health of 600 or more. I know it is all relative, but I didn't want the numbers to get too crazy. I also wanted to avoid, at all costs, doing something lame like removing abilities or items from a hero at the start, to de-power them. That would infuriate a lot of people!

I wouldn't worry too much about the persistent hero thing... as there will be elements of that in the books (no hero will be in retirement, put it that way).

My goal and challenge is to make the central hero in each book as interesting and challenging to play as the last. Hopefully, I'll pull that off!

In DQ2 I'd like to see more legendary monsters!

Currently Online: There is nobody online.

Welcome to our latest member: Seabreeze

Copyright © 2010 Michael Ward | Terms and Conditions | Acknowledgments | site built by nomad